Wednesday, November 5, 2008

GO-BAMA!!

I know that there is a lot of talk out there in Romacelandia about the role of authors and politics and until today, I have been mainly silent (on the internet, but talk to me in real life!) but after last night, I can no longer hold my tongue.

I have never been prouder to be an American than I was last night at 9:15 pm MST when MSNBC announced that Barack Obama was the next President of the United States of America.  I laughed, I screamed (loudly), and I cried (profusely).  In fact, I'm becoming a little teary-eyed even as I write this.  Last night was historically significant in so many ways.  When I think that just 40 years ago, my grandfather didn't have the right to vote, young Black men were brutally slain just for whistling at a White woman, and one of the most prolific voices of our times was shot down just because he dared to declare that Black people were citizens of this nation and deserved to be treated with equanimity, my heart aches.  I honestly never thought that I would see this day in my lifetime.  

And while I know that this victory in no way completely heals the racial tensions in this nation, it goes a helluva long way.  Now, when I have my children, I can truly tell them that they can grow up to be anything they want in this world, including the President of the United States.   

And it won't be a lie.

God Bless President Obama and God Bless America!


No comments: